The Media Manager provides a space to store media, i.e. images, audio and video and (text) passages (shared stimuli). This is a universally shared folder, which means you don’t need to keep uploading the same files for use in different items. The Media folder will always appear as an option for choosing input when you are populating items.
You will find the same buttons in the Media Manager as in most other functions under the library on the left (New class, Delete, Import, Export). The New class, Delete, and Export buttons work in a very similar way to most of the other functions. For more information on any of these, click on the following links: New class, Delete, Export.
The Import button works in a slightly different way in the Media Manager. Follow the steps below to import a new media file.
1. Click on the Media icon in the Assessment Builder Bar. The Media library will appear on the left. Select the folder in the library where you want the new media file to reside.
2. Click on the Import button in the button bank under the library. This will bring up a dialog box in the center of the screen.
3. Choose the input format. You have two choices – a file or a shared stimulus. A file can be in any picture, audio or video format (.jpg or .mp3, etc.) A shared stimulus is an .xml file which contains a simple or complex text (a text with integrated images).
4. When you have chosen the input format, you can either select Browse to browse the files your computer, or you can drag and drop the file into the space provided.
5. When the file has uploaded, click on Import.
Once the file has been imported, you will see the message Media imported successfully. The new file will appear in the library on the left, in the Media folder.
6. Click on Continue.
A dialog box labeled Edit instance will appear, with the details of the new media file. This contains the following information:
- Label (the name of your imported file)
- Alternative Text (rename the file here if you wish)
- Language (the default language is English, but you can change the language if appropriate)
For information on how to use your media files in new items, see Adding Media to an item.